Thursday, April 8, 2010

Celiac - not a disability but another ability

So I found it funny that as my friend was telling me about their Passover that they said to me "You would not understand how hard it is to live when you can't have unleavened bread!  It's in everything!".  I just laughed softly and thought to myself "Actually I do understand!".  What made me find this so funny is my friend KNOWS I have Celiac and it never even crossed their mind that of ALL people I would understand what they were going through!

See I think people forget that you have to be so careful.  That  nothing goes into my mouth without thought and careful analyzing!  In fact I have read and heard many Celiac's complain about their quality of life and how hard life has been since they found out.  Most look at it as a disability in fact.

However I am now 2 years gluten free and I have to say - though I understand completely how that feels and have even voiced a similar opinion - I have also learned that having Celiac has taught me a new ability.  I am now more careful with what I eat (a given), I eat healthier and there isn't one thing that I pick up that I do not consider and contemplate before consuming!  So really I have gained a new ability - or as some would say a new awareness.  I never used to think before eating.  I saw and I ate - it was that simple.

Now I realize not only how gluten was affecting my body but I am understanding how other ingredients also affects me.  So much so that I've slowly started weaning myself off of the processed foods to keep down cross contamination problems as well as steer clear of those ingredients I can't even pronounce!  In doing this I am starting to realize how much better fruits, vegetables and even meats are tasting than they used to.  I've cleared my palette to allow me to try foods I thought poorly of and have found some of them have become my favorites!  Then to top it all of - I am now able to smell the chemicals in processed foods.  I know that sounds crazy but it's true.  Processed foods are no longer having the appeal they once had because well they just do not smell right any more.

So bottom line - Celiac is not an easy disease to have - however it's not the worst either.  In fact I think most people will find they are healthier for it.  So disability - I think not!  New ability - yes that is what I have gotten out of this! 

Good luck and stay strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment