Sunday, September 13, 2009

A week of being healthy - ends sickly

So for the most part I followed my diet.  I didn't eat red meat or pork.  I am now drinking unsweet tea (God what kind of southerner have I become!) and eat more veggies than ever before.  I lost a little weight and yes my pain level has gone down just like the doctor's book promised. 

However I had a celiac episode on Saturday.  I picked up take out for my husband and I on Friday night.  I ordered a chicken salad for me (at a trusted gluten free restaurant).  I know I am not suppose to eat any meat for the first two weeks but the book did say if you couldn't resist to at least stick with chicken - I did not fail too miserably on that!  Apparently though I ran into some cross contamination.  By morning I was doubled over in pain with tear streaming down my face.  Not very great timing however (because I had just brought my son home at 3am and at 6am the house was quiet for once).  My husband lay awake with me holding me in his arms.  It would have been one of those moments you look back on later in life and smiled about.  However about 10 minutes into our storybook moment I started having stomach pains.  Within 15 minutes I was doubled over and crying.  Here's a tip for you Celiac's out there that get these stomach pains - a heat pad dulls the pain down a bit.  What did I do but wrap the heating pad around my stomach sighing that my moment had been broken by this disease I live with. 

Let me digress a bit and say - I know what I have is not as bad as others out there have.  I am at risk for diseases such as stomach cancers and others that are not so pleasant however on a daily basis this disease has just made me change my lifestyle.  Know this though, even though I always remind myself it could be worse, Celiac changes who you are and your family around you.  There is a constant stress of cross contamination.  My husband and child are always on guard as am I.  There is no relaxing when it comes to this and there are days it is tiring.  There are also days like Saturday morning when it's a darn inconvenience! 

Anyhow let me step off my soap box and continue my journal of this week. I spent all of Saturday morning and most of the afternoon in pain and sick.  I did get to sleep a little which made this a bit bearable to deal with. By Saturday night I was feeling better but plain wore out.  Exhaustion always comes after a battle with Celiac as well as only sleeping from 3am to 6am the night before!  So I curled up with my husband a little after 9pm and crashed.

This morning I woke up feeling like my head was going to split in two, my throat was going to crack from being dry and in pain and well I'd just say "stuffy nose" doesn't even cover how congested I was today!  I am trying to figure out how I got sick.  My kid has been kicking a virus for over a week yet I've managed to stay well through it all.  Something I always strive for since it takes me twice as long to heal as everyone else (something else Celiac has gifted me with).  However the day he is finally feeling great I am down and out (mmm maybe the little bugger snuck in and passed to me when I wasn't on guard).  That meant today was a day of being on the couch and feeling miserable.

Now it's almost midnight.  I feel better except for my stomach is hurting again though this time I think it's from an upset stomach not Celiac.  The pain is too "normal" to be Celiac!  I figured now would be a great time to update everyone about my journey.

I did managed to stay on my diet for the most part all week and all weekend.  Kudos to me for getting that win.  Yes even though I failed from time to time I call it a win. You have to take the wins where you can get them.  However do I feel tremendously more healthy - heck no.  Do I feel like this is going to lead to health, no pain, and all of that.  No not at this time.

I do know that I have only taken a few steps in my journey and that I have a long road ahead of me.  So I will try to find sleep tonight and then take another step tomorrow!

Where is yoru path leading you today - where will you let it take you tomorrow and what will your win be?

No comments:

Post a Comment